I’ve been writing here for 20 weeks. I’m thrilled to see Google Analytics report that my readership extends beyond just my mom. (Although she is still the most consistent Facebook sharer of my posts. Hi, mom!) Those of you who don’t know me may have gleaned a few of my personal details by now, but this week I give you the chance to get to know your author a bit better.
There is a party game called “Two Truths and a Lie.” Everyone shares three statements about themselves, and everyone else has to guess which statement is not true. You have a 1-in-3 chance of guessing correctly. That’s too easy. Besides, it doesn’t fit the structure of making 40 item lists for the 40 weeks leading to my 40th birthday. That’s why I am listing 39 truths and a lie.
Below are 39 true statements about me and one lie. Can you spot the untruth? I know that my friends who read this will be able to definitively confirm at least some of these statements, but let’s keep it fun by limiting the comments to guesses only. I’ll reveal the lie on Wednesday.
In no particular order:
- I’ve lived in 8 states.
- I’ve traveled to 4 continents.
- I’m an only child.
- My given middle name was Ayn.
- I’ve never been a bridesmaid.
- I’ve never had a broken bone.
- I’ve never had surgery.
- I don’t have any tattoos.
- I have a credit on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB).
- I dropped out of Mensa.
- I competed in child beauty pageants.
- I learned to drive on a manual transmission.
- My husband is younger than I am.
- My husband is shorter than I am.
- I took a taxi to get to my wedding.
- I took a taxi to go to the hospital while in labor with my son.
- I had both my children without pain medication.
- I’ve been hugged by playwright Arthur Kopit.
- I was once flown to Detroit to see a hockey game as a date.
- I attended an all girls’ school.
- I’ve never had anything waxed.
- I wrote poorly conceived erotica during my 7th grade typing class.
- I attended an Apache Sunrise Dance.
- I have traveled on a diplomatic passport.
- I haven’t been to Las Vegas since I’ve been over 21.
- This year I will throw my 20th consecutive Christmas party.
- I haven’t skied in almost 25 years.
- I didn’t learn to ride a bike until I was 35.
- I’ve never read an entire Dickens novel.
- My business degree was partially funded by a creative writing scholarship.
- I ghost wrote a book with one of my professors.
- I used to be a COBOL programmer.
- I love karaoke, but I haven’t done it since having kids.
- I’ve failed a polygraph test.
- I’ve passed a polygraph test.
- I wrote and directed a movie called “Lots and Lots of Human Dinners.”
- I love performing Shakespeare even though I don’t particularly like watching others perform Shakespeare.
- I took bible study classes from a Jehovah’s Witness.
- I have owned leather pants.
- I did my first blog post in 2005 as research for a play I was writing.
Can you tell which statement is not true?