When I started Fiction Friday I was looking for a way to reinvigorate my imagination in quick bursts of flash fiction. Some weeks I know well ahead of time what will write. Some weeks an idea didn’t come until Thursday. However, a theme that that has emerged is short stories about technology. I guess it makes sense since I’ve spent most of my life using computers (I’m one of those other women in tech), but looking back and seeing how much of my flash fiction had a technological theme surprised me.
Here are 10 short stories about technology organized by theme.
Short fiction about biotechnology
- We didn’t cure cancer. We fed it. – In the future we learn to live with cancer.
Short fiction about the Internet in general
- Licensed to Kill Time – The Internet describes one of its key attributes
- What would the Internet be like without net neutrality? – A glimpse at a possible future
Short fiction about social media
- Antisocial media – A woman falls down the social media rabbit hole
- Friend request unacceptable – A woman contemplates the power of pseudoanonymity on social media
Short fiction about online privacy
- Die Spy: We hack dead people’s computers, so you don’t have to – A company will hack the data of your dead loved ones
- Happy birthday from the Internet – A service to personalize your day gets a bit intrusive
Short fiction about fitness trackers
- Suspicious activity in the workplace – Does this fitness tracker make me seem weird?
- Is your FitBit spying on you for the NSA? – What if its like a little spy on your arm?
Short fiction about technology becoming obsolete
- My best friend is a book and she’s dying (again) – Technology is not forever
Will my next Fiction Friday post be about technology or something else? Subscribe to find out.
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
You can also find Kim Z. Dale on Twitter and Google+ and like Listing Beyond Forty on Facebook.