My son really wanted the Star Wars LEGO advent calendar this year. I caved because I’m a sucker for holiday stuff, but that meant I also needed a toy-based advent calendar for my daughter. I figured that would be easy because she loves Shopkins and Shopkins are the perfect size for an advent calendar! Surprisingly though, I couldn’t find a premade Shopkins advent calendar anywhere, so I decided to make my own Shopkins countdown calendar. Because I don’t do a lot of crafting I made a super easy one, and you can too. This would also work for other small toys.
What you need to make a super easy DIY Shopkins advent calendar:
- 24 Shopkins or accessories (I found several options that had 20 Shopkins and four “rooms.”)
- 24 favor boxes (2×2″)
- Tape or glue
- Permanent marker
To assemble the calendar
- Put one Shopkin in each box.
- Tape or glue the boxes together with the flaps facing out so they can still open. (I made 6 rows of six, but you could make a Christmas tree or other formation.)
- Decorate the boxes with stickers.
- Number the boxes 1 to 24.
- Let the recipient open one flap each day in December until Christmas, getting a little Shopkins surprise each time.
That’s it! I think it took me 15 minutes to assemble this. If you use glue it will take longer due to drying time, but the boxes will fit close together.
I hope my daughter likes her Shopkins advent calendar. I’m pretty sure she will. After all, it’s filled with Shopkins!