Recently, I posted a list of dystopian novels and other books relevant to current events, but sometimes (often) it’s nice to have entertainment options that are escapes from reality not reminders of it. There is no shame in that. Here are some awesome TV shows, movies, and books that have made me happy over the past year. Perhaps a few of these can bring you some joy too.
Awesome TV shows
- Stranger Things – If retro sci-fi is your thing you have probably already watched it, but I’m piling on to its numerous recommendations anyway.
- The Bletchly Circle – A group of women who were codebreakers during WWII use their skills to become amateur crime investigators.
- Double Dare – No, this isn’t the true story of the Nicklelodeon game show. It’s the story of two kick ass stunt women.
- Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon – You won’t believe everyone this guy is friends with.
- Chuck Norris vs. Communism – A documentary about life behind the Iron Curtain may not seem like the best escape right now, but where else are you going to find a movie with a heroine who dubs bootleg movies?
Other awesome movies
- Keanu – This cat-focused caper came up in months of “What should we watch?” discussions before we finally selected it. Once we did I was sorry we had waited so long.
- The Nice Guys – I’m not normally a big Russell Crowe fan, but he is great paired with Ryan Gosling in this odd buddy comedy.
Awesome songs (that make we want to dance)
- Hey Mami – Sylvan Esso – Perhaps it’s a bit odd to have a song about street harassment top my list, but I can’t help but want to dance to it.
- WTF – Missy Elliott – Another song that makes me get up and dance
- FloriDaDa – Animal Collective – And this one is just weird and fun. Fine. It makes me want to dance too.
What awesome things make you happy?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…Check out my previous recommendations for: